8.26.2010

A Memorable Lunch



I met a girl friend for lunch to catch up on things and bring her a delivery of product at the local Los Gallitos.  We chatted about her upcoming trip to Ireland, her daughter starting her second year of college, my recent job layoff and how energized I am now to be free of the burden of that daily dragon to concentrate on my ideas and future.  I spoke to my favorite bus girl I that has kept my table clean and bowls of chips and salsa full for years.  Her son, so beautifully named America, had just started pre-K this week.  She glowed with excitement to share her joy of the beginning of his education.  I politely asked her if he was learning English in school and with a big smile,  she said yes.

My friend had to leave to return to work.  I made my way to the outdoor patio to finish my margarita and enjoy our first arid day in months.  A Chevy Camaro had pulled in and parked.  A woman got out of the passenger side with an attractive messenger bag, put in on the trunk and seemingly retrieved a wheelchair from no where and took it directly to the driver's side.  I thought it odd that they did not take one of the many available handicap parking spots.   The driver's door was just opening and I could see the driver begin his solo struggle to move from the car seat to the wheel chair as his companion stood by and did not assist him.  Within that same moment, I saw the license plate on that Camaro and realized what was taking place.  


My first thought was to take out my camera and capture this moment of his struggle to do what we do everyday without effort to reflect what he has sacrificed for our Freedom.  With immediate second thought, he and his companion deserved privacy.  With my better judgment, I turned my head so not to stare at his endeavor to move from the car to the wheel chair and contemplated a words I could say that might let him know that I was thankful and that I cared.  As the two passed by the patio where I sat, the words I spoke along with a slight wave brought a turn of the head and a smile from his companion and a smile and a wave from the young man.  I hope he knows how sincere were my words and how timely his visit was in prologue to a lunch that is now a celebration of our Freedom.

Thank you, sir.  Thank you sir for protecting our Freedom.

All I am going to say about this post is I don't care where your sit on current issues.  Just remember that these men and women are taking a job, just like you or I do.  They may want to further their education, to seek promotion or just to simply provide for their family.  While their job is much more difficult than we can ever imagine, they truly want the same for their future as we do, maybe even more so and with great pride, they serve.

Beth in Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment