8.25.2010

A Visit To Tabasco At Avery Island

While in Louisiana in June, 2010 for a little vacation and to spend a few tourist dollars in my neighbor state, I knew I had to pay a little visit to Avery Island, after all, I had not been there since the early 90's.  They were closed on the first visit and a very rainy day on this recent visit.  
The rain did not hamper the free tour, which was nice, a little sterile, but well worth it if you are in the area.  I mean, you can't miss this piece of American history.  As you enter the small theater to view short films (one being a big promotion for the Tabasco Brand Chipotle Sauce) they give each visitor 3 of their famous little mini bottles of sauce.  Great souvenirs!  


After the film viewing, you then travel down a glassed corridor to view the bottling of the sauce, that day it was their Green Sauce.  I can't imagine that this would be THE bottling line for their worldwide production but it was a nice view of seemingly happy employees and lots of bottles of Tabasco Brand sauces scooting about on conveyor belts.

The end of the corridor leads you to a small museum room with bits of history of Tabasco Brand and Avery Island, the salt dome, the infamous oak barrels and such. 



From there, you are "invited" to shop the Tabasco Country Store.  Many more items than what you find in their print catalog or online store, lots of local snacks, Tabasco Logo wearables and kitchen gear.  They did have an excellent sampling bar with almost all of their sauces and salsas, even their jalapeno ice cream available to sample.  If only they had samples of Tabasco Bloody Mary, I could then say it was the perfect Bar Buffet.  I was very fond of the Tabasco Steak Sauce I had never found on store shelves and purchased a bottle.



I know there are so many unique and tasty hot sauces out there but, for some reason, I have this addiction to Tabasco Brand Chipotle Sauce.  After pondering for just a short while, I decided to purchase the one gallon size.  The fact that the storekeepers said that it would last five years on the counter and in the Country Store, I found what was probaby the cheapest thing you could purchase at $2.95 and the most useful tool for using that gallon of sauce, the Basting Topper that fits right on the 5 OZ bottle of sauce.  I did have to ask if they had a pump top for the jug but none were available.  As you can see, I have already put a dent in the jug, so I don't think I will have to worry about the 5 year shelf life.


You can see more photos of my visit to Tabasco at Avery Island here.  So sorry, the rainy day does not do justice to this American Landmark, the area is truly beautiful.

On the subject of Tabasco Brand, Peppermania has a retired collection of Tabasco Brand Ties At Cheap Prices And Free Shipping.

See ya later alligator!
Beth in Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment