9.11.2010

Hatch Comes To H-Town

I rarely venture into "town", meaning Houston proper, but I always find I have to make the really not so far journey when Central Market brings the Hatch Chile to town. 

I am not truly fond of roasted Hatch chile, gastronomically, it is more rough on my system than eating a Trinidad Scorpion over the course of 1 hour.  I still find my way each year to see what they have "Hatch'd".  This year they had a beautiful brochure of all of the Hatchified selections that they were offering including some tasties like various meats, cheeses and bakery items and then a couple of items sound just plain ridiculous, like Cinnamon Vanilla Hatch Gelato.  I only gathered a few of the Hatch pods, I still have some in the deep freeze to smoke so my adventure was pretty much just a lookie-lou trip.  I did pick up a couple of bakery items, very good but little sign of chile in them.  

The Hatch Pepper Cheddar loaf was a bargain, even at $5 a loaf.  I am sorry it is gone now.  Nice fat Dog Buns, too.
 The Hatch chiles were fresh but alas, no red ones again this year.  A pretty weak selection of other chiles too.

While I was in town I finally made it to the Urban Harvest Farmers Market to check it out as as a customer and for vendor potentuality.  I was late, it was hot but well worth the stop.  The Zydeco Dots were playing, I pick up some fresh Texas Wild Shrimp and scoped out the almost non-existent chile pepper scene.

I was happy to see this chile pepper display by one of the community farms.  Always happy to see this kind of harvest in the city.
I have to mention this hardworking couple and their Revival Meats.  I regret not purchasing any of their pork but I will return to the market even if just for their pork.


No comments:

Post a Comment