12.12.2010

A Piquillo Personality

Like the Oaxacan chiles, the Piquillo was a star performer this year.  I stepped it up to a 10 gallon container and that did the trick.  Of course, I wanted the seed for Peppermania but I was just pleased to have fresh pods for munching.  With their sweetness makes, many became salad and pasta companions, the rest ended up in the freezer for the near future's smoke out.

I am not into stir fry put if I was the Piquillo would be a perfect candidate.  I have never had them out of the can or jar where they come packed in oil, nor did I stuff any of my harvest.  If I had found this recipe before they landed in the deep freeze, I would have tried this with them fresh.



Very similar to roasting the New Mexican pods.  And now that you have roasted your harvest, view on for a simple recipe for tapas.....






The Piquillo is of the Capsicum annuum species and I would call it "medium season".  It sets fruit early but you will want them red ripe, you will have to wait a little while, varying on the warmth of your season.  Heat and humidity can slow production, this is best resolved with an organic well-draining soil, even a little shade mid-day in the South.

The Piquillo has much to offer, especially for tapas (appetizers).

Beth in Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment