12.12.2010

The Cachucha, Sofrito And A Quesadilla Maker

Cachucha - Bountiful Harvest 2010
Sofrito - On My Recipe To Make Wish List
Quesadilla Maker - Tool On Hand To Make A Cuban Ham Sandwich

The Cachucha is an aji dulce, a seasoning pepper of the Capsicum chinense species, similar flavor and aroma of a Habanero-type chile sans the heat.  The Cachucha is popular in Cuban and Puerto Rican cuisine as is the Sofrito, of which the Cachucha is a key ingredient.  I originally found the pods in the Fiesta market years ago and 2010 was going to be the last year I would be able to carry on this strain.  Besides qualities of a heatless habanero, I have always loved the curious squashed shape of the Cachucha.  By the way, I was told that Cachucha translates to "little hat" in Spanish.  That makes sense!

I found a recipe I though sounded authentic and gathered the ingredients, including the ripe Cachucha I had recently harvested.


Sofrito (recipe found at AllRecipes.com by Fivebrigs

 
Ingredients

    * 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
    * 1 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
    * 10 ajies dulces peppers, tops removed
    * 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
    * 4 onions, cut into large chunks
    * 3 medium heads garlic, peeled
    * 25 cilantro leaves with stems
    * 25 leaves recao, or culantro
    * 1 tablespoon salt
    * 1 tablespoon black pepper

Directions

In a food processor, combine green peppers, red peppers ajies dulces, tomatoes, onions, and garlic. Add cilantro, recao, salt, and pepper. Process to the consistency of semi-chunky salsa (not watery). Place in a ziplock freezer bag, and use as needed, or freeze in portions.

Fivebrigs Comment: 
"Sofrito is the base for most Puerto Rican dishes, and this one is better than store bought (difficult to find in the stores in the Western United States). This can be added to beans, rice, soups, stews, you name it."

My Notes:  I suppose my version was not so authentic, I did not have the culantro so I added more cilantro.  This makes a very large batch and it does freeze very well.  I added some to sour cream and cream cheese for a dip, very good.  I really like all of the garlic in the recipe.

 Here you can see that wonderful Sofrito on my Cuban Ham Sandwich
 Now read more to see how that Cuban sammie came out.....





I have no more room for gadget appliances but needed something to smash-grill my sandwich. Substitute gratification came when I remembered the El Paso Quesadilla Maker I had stowed away.  It was that or the Texas Waffle Iron.  The EPQM was the better option.  You remember these....


I can't say enough good things about the Bollilo bread in all of the markets.  I love them, even the ones from Sam's Club are so fresh (and cheap).




I put the sammie in the Butter Pam'd heated grill and let it go....


And the results.


My only disappointment was a need for better control of loss of cheese and did not look as glamorous as I had hoped.  I think I underestimated the grilling capabilities of the EPQM but I now know it has more uses in my kitchen.  The Cuban Ham Sandwich tastedj ust as I had hoped, with the sofrito and mustard (and no pickles).

I will definitely keep the Cachucha on my grow list from here on out.

Adios muchachos y muchachas
Beth in Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment