1.01.2012

Blue Cheese in Chipotle Oil

I LOVE this Rosenborg Blue Cheese in Oil! My jar was running dry of the blue cheese so I decided to improvise and make my own with some chipotle powder to kick it up.  So far so good but I learned some lessons as in the process (see Notes).

Blue Cheese In Oil
1 Cup Canola Oil
1 Tsp Peppercorns
1 Tsp Granulated Garlic
1 Tsp Course Ground Black Pepper (smoked if availale)
1/2 Tsp Bay Leaf - Crushed/Chopped (I used Lemon Bay)
2 Tsp Smoked ground chile powder
8 Ounce Creamy Blue Cheese

Blend all ingredients in a bowl except the blue cheese.
Cut blue cheese into 1/4" squares and pack in to sterilized jars.
With a spoon, continuously stir the oil ingredients and pour over blue cheese in jars.
Seal and refrigerate.  Let flavors meld until desired flavors result.

Notes:  
  • I used EVOO but should have used the Canola Oil as on the label of the Rosenborg, the EVOO congeals when refrigerated.
  • A 60% cream blue cheese is recommended.  I used a cheapie Danish "crumbling" Danish blue. I used olive oil spray on utensils to prevent crumbles.
  • The Rosenborg label listed citric acid as antioxidant, I had citric acid on hand and added one tsp. I have no problem with citric acid.  No model to compare.
  • Prepare the oil and chile powder in advance to let flavors meld or be prepared to wait.
  • Day 2:  All is good, more flavor is coming on and no clouding.



This is good stuff.  Keep refrigerated and it will last for months.

Cheese Lover in Texas
Beth

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing these wonderful recipes. Happy New Year. The Red Eye Gravy is great. Susie H.

    ReplyDelete