8.27.2011

A Simple Pepper Drying Hanging

What a chica can find in her closets!  No...not just shoes!



I found a contraption that I made years ago for drying peppers and never used.  I didn't invent it, it was an idea I found in a magazine or in the early daze of the www.  It had come apart but was easily reconstructed with twist ties and skewers.

Basic materials:
Small link chain
Bamboo skewers
Twist ties or twine for securing skewers
Peppers of choice



Use 3 - 4 skewers for the main/top support "rod".  Secure on both ends with twine or twist ties and tie a twine hanger loop in the middle.
Slice an opening in peppers to prevent rot & mold.
Pierce peppers to skewers and secure to chain with twine or twist ties
Balance as necessary
Hang in sunny location, moving as necessary to protect from rain.

I didn't want to "waste" my good peppers so, as you see here, is $3 worth of mixed chiles from my local Foodarama.






If nothing else, it does make a cool yard art hanging on the fence or decor for a patio party.

So far, so good. Two days on a sunny fence and no rotting yet.  The green Jalapenos are ripening but I guess 118º in the sun will do that!

Status update to follow.



 
Happy Crafting!
Beth in Texas

No comments:

Post a Comment