1.01.2010

Migas In The Morning, My Way


For a very long time, Migas were one of those mystery foods to me, with mysterious animal parts served for breakfast, something like Menudo.  No Tripe Face Boogie for me unless it’s Little Feat.  In my “skinny days”, I drove through the Taco Cabana daily for a bag of  breakfast tacos.  Migas were on the menu but I was afraid to ask what was in them for fear of ruining my hearty appetite.  I would often see them listed on the menu at my local taqueria, taco shop, but I still would not be brave to ask.

A fear I could not continue to live in embarrassment, I finally went to the web to find out just what Migas is/are.  After some confusion of the various “traditional” versions of Spain, Portugal and Mexico, I concluded that it’s a regional thing.  Spain, Portugal and Central Mexico identify Migas as a soup that includes old bread while Migas in Northern Mexico and Texas are scrambled eggs with tortillas.  In any case, Migas were a poor man’s food and Migas translates to “crumbs”.  That settled it, Tex-Mex Migas, I could live with that.  

With one failed attempt of preparing Migas behind me, I did not “crisp” the tortillas, I decided that New Year’s Day breakfast would be the perfect day to be rewarded with Migas success, after all I had the Holiday leftovers thqt would be quite suitable for Migas, My Way.  I had leftover chipotle butter from my Pappasita’s Chipotle Shrimp as well as a couple of their flour tortillas, I had the eggs and I had Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage already crumble-fried.  I was not into any chopping, I wanted my Migas ahora.  NOW!  This was gonna be good and it was!  While my Migas may not be traditional to anybody, they were just that, My Migas, Mis Migas, comida en la mañana, done this way...



3 TBS Butter
2 TBS Chipotle en Adobo Sauce
2 Flour Tortillas
2 Cup Jimmy Dean HOT Breakfast Sausage (crumbled and cooked)
6 Eggs
Salsa Taquera (Taco Sauce) To Taste. I used Rosarita, I had it and I like it.
Queso Fresca (Mexican Cheese)

Melt the butter in a large omelette pan, adding the chipotle en adobo sauce (and finely chopped chilpotles, if desired).

If cold, warm the sausage in the microwave.

Tear the tortillas into small bite pieces and add to bubbling butter.  Stir and fry until crisp.

Beat the eggs while preparing the tortillas.

Once the tortillas are crisp, add the eggs, sausage and salsa to the pan and scramble until desired doneness.

Top with crumbled cheese and serve hot with refried beans and orange wedges.



NOTE: There are countless ingredients that could be used for Migas, Your Way.  Chorizo, corn tortillas, onion, cilantro, tomato, jalapenos, green chiles, bacon, pico de gallo, whatever you have in the fridge!  Just be sure to crisp the tortillas!

No comments:

Post a Comment